Adorable chocolate Dinosaurs on a delicious sheet cake with vanilla and chocolate cake, whipped cream and strawberries.
- 1 Vanilla Cake Roll
- 1 Chocolate Cake Roll
- Small amount of Simple Syrup
- 750 grams of Whipping Cream
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
- 500 grams of Strawberries
- 25 grams of Dark Chocolate*
- 200 grams of White Chocolate*
- Chocolate Food Colouring: Green, Blue, pink, Red, Yellow & Orange
*Enough chocolate to make the chocolate topper twice, so you have a back up.
What you'll need
- Dinosaur Template
- Heat Proof Bowl
- Silicone Spatula
- Small or Barbecue Skewers
- 1 Cutting Board, A4 Size
- Acetate Sheet
- Palette Knife
- Cake Board (35cm x 30cm)
- Whisk Attachment(s)
- Electric Mixer
- Big Mixing Bowl
- 1 or more (Disposable) Piping bag(s)
I do NOT temper my chocolate in this recipe, if you prefer to temper your chocolate you could use the method described in this recipe or search online for other methods.
- Put your template on a cutting board and tape it down. Cover it with the acetate sheet and tape this down at the back of the cutting board.
- Melt the dark chocolate, either au bain-marie or in the microwave, and use a skewer to outline the design.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Melt white chocolate and colour it in different colours.
- Fill in the template with the colours, refrigerate in between. NOTE: See video for more detail.
- Prepare a Vanilla and a Chocolate Cake Roll Cake, let cool completely.
- Cut each in half to form a total of four rectangles.
- Cut strawberries, as shown in video.
- Whip up whipping cream with vanille extract.
- Stick bottom cake layer to cake board with whipped cream.
- Brush with simple syrup.
- Cover with whipping cream.
- Add cut strawberries.
- Cover with another layer of cake and repeat last three steps two more times, placing cake in between the layers.
- Cover with final layer of cake and brush with simple syrup.
- Cover the entire cake in whipping cream.
- Place chocolate design on top.
- Pipe some whipped cream dollops around the edge.
- Cover edges of the cake with strawberry slices.
- Refrigerate until use.