Castella cake, with vanilla, strawberry and chocolate flavours.
Remember you can make most of my recipes lactose free, which I always do, you'll just have to get the right ingredients.
What you'll need
- 3 Eggs*
- 100 grams of Sugar
- 100 grams of Flour OR 80 grams of Flour AND 20 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 40 grams of Honey
- 40 grams of Milk
- Optional: 10 grams of sifted Freeze Dried Strawberry Powder
- Optional: Food Colouring
*Make sure these ingredients are at room temperature.
What you'll need
- Electric Mixer
- Whisk Attachment(s)
- Loaf Pan (21cm × 11cm × 7cm)
- Plastic Wrap
- Baking Paper
- Sillicone Spatula
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- Prepare your loaf pan by lining the bottom and sides of the pan with baking paper.
- Warm the milk and mix in the honey, until the honey has dissolved.
- Optional: Mix together the flour and cocoa powder OR the flour and strawberry powder.
- Sift the flour (mixture) well.
- Whip up the eggs with the sugar, until you've reached the ribbon stage.
- Add half of the honey and milk mixture and mix briefly.
- Add half of the flour (mixture) and mix again.
- Repeat this for the remaining honey and milk mixture and flour (mixture).
- Use a spatula to mix briefly, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Tap the pan to release air bubbles.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes. NOTE: If you press the top gently and the cake bounces back it's done, it took 45 minutes with my oven.
- Place the cake upside down onto some plastic wrap.
- Wrap the plastic wrap around the cake and let it cool completely.
- Unmould the cake.
- Slice off the sides before serving.