Roasted hazelnuts are simply delicious and pretty healthy as well! Use them in desserts or eat them just as a snack.
What you'll need
- 800 grams of Water
- 200 grams Hazelnuts (unpeeled and unroasted)
- 70 grams of Baking Soda
What you'll need
- Small Boiling Pot
- Large Bowl
- Small Bowl
- Baking paper
*This all depends on whether you're melting the sugar in a boiling pot on the stove or in the microwave.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Put the water in the boiling pot and bring the water to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling add the baking soda. The water will fizz up, once there are no more bubbles add the hazelnuts.
- Let the water simmer for 4 minutes, put on an alarm, but don’t walk away. Use a spoon to remove the foam while it’s simmering and place it in the small bowl.
NOTE: The small bowl is necessary because there isn't time to walk to your sink and back with every bit of foam.
- Place the strainer in your sink and strain the hazelnuts, as soon as the 4 minutes are up. Rinse them with cold water, then put them in the large bowl and fill this with cold water.
NOTE: You can rinse out the small bowl now, you will not be using the foam for anything.
- Peel the hazelnuts, simply pinch them a little and the skin will come off, and dry them well. Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the tray with the hazelnuts in your preheated oven and leave it in there for 15 to 20 minutes. You'll be able to tell when they're done: they'll be a little darker in colour and will have a stronger smell to them.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool.
NOTE: If you are roasting more hazelnuts then you need you can store the leftovers in your freezer, this will enable you to use the hazelnuts later without them going bad.