Light and fluffy, vibrant in colour and tasty red velvet cake. Tastes even better with some cream cheese buttercream.
Remember you can make most of my recipes lactose free, which I always do, you'll just have to get the right ingredients.
What you'll need
- 130 grams of Butter*
- 600 grams of Sugar
- 7 eggs*
- 560 grams of Flour
- 40 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 7 grams of Baking Powder
- 500 grams of Milk
- 60 grams of White Vinegar
- OR 560 grams of Buttermilk
- 125 grams of Sunflower Oil
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Colouring, gel
- 16 grams of Baking Soda
- 35 grams of White Vinegar
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
This recipe makes about 24 cupcakes or three cakes with a diameter of 22,5 cm.
What you'll need
- Paddle Attachment(s)
- Electric Mixer
- 2 Big Mixing Bowls
- Silicone Spatula
- Aluminium Foil
- Cupcake Pan or 3 Springform Pans (Ø22,5 cm)
- 24 Cupcake Liners or Baking Paper
- Balloon Whisk or Sifter
- Optional: Ice Cream Scoop*
*Makes it easier to divide the batter if you're using cupcake liners or multiple cakes.
- Optional: Combine 500 grams of milk with 60 grams of white vinegar and stir. Leave this at room temperature until it has thickened slightly and you can see some curdle. NOTE: This will take about 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Combine the buttermilk, sunflower oil, vanilla extract and red food colouring.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder together.
- In a separate bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs in one at a time.
- Add half of the flour mixture and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the buttermilk mixture into batter and mix until well incorporated.
- Add in the leftover flour mixture and mix well.
- Combine baking soda and white vinegar.
- Add into the batter and mix briefly until incorporated.
- Divide your batter into three cake pans.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. NOTE: Check if the cake is done by inserting a skewer or knife, if it comes out clean it's done.
- Let the cakes cool completely.