One of my most used recipes: chocolate cake. For cupcakes or just a normal cake, it's a tasty basic recipe.
Remember you can make most of my recipes lactose free, which I always do, you'll just have to get the right ingredients.
What you'll need
- 115 grams of Butter
- 60 grams of Chocolate
- 110 grams of Granulated Sugar
- 160 grams of Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs*
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 145 grams of Flour
- 60 grams of Cocoa Powder
- 10 grams of Baking Powder
- 120 grams of Milk
- Optional: 140 grams of Chocolate Chips
*Make sure this ingredient is at room temperature.
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes or one cake with a diameter of 18 cm or 20 cm.
What you'll need
- Balloon Whisk
- Heat Proof Bowl
- 2 Big Mixing Bowls
- Silicone Spatula
- Cupcake Pan or Springform Pan (Ø18 or 20 cm)
- 12 Cupcake Liners or Baking Paper
- Optional: Ice Cream Scoop*
- Optional: Small Boiling Pot**
*Makes it easier to divide the batter if you're using cupcake liners or multiple cakes.
**Only necessary if you choose to melt the chocolate and butter au bain-marie. Make sure your bowl fits on top of the boiling pot without touching the water in the pot, otherwise your chocolate could easily burn.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius and prepare your springform pan by brushing some butter into it and then placing baking paper in it or prepare your cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- Put the chocolate and butter in the heat proof bowl and melt them, either au bain-marie* or in the microwave. NOTE: Make sure to stir in between so the chocolate and butter won't burn.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder in a big mixing bowl and mix this through with a balloon whisk.
- In another bowl combine the two kinds of sugar, eggs and vanilla extract and mix this with a balloon whisk.
- Add the melted chocolate and butter mixture into the egg mixture and mix again.
- Add half the flour mixture and mix, then add half the milk and mix again.
- Add the other half of the flour mixture and mix and then add the last of the milk and mix again.
- Add in the chocolate chips now, gently mix them in with the silicone spatula, if you want a chocolate chip chocolate cake.
- Divide the batter over 12 cupcake liners or put it all in one cake pan.
- Bake the cake in the oven for 15 to 25 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. NOTE: If you insert a skewer and no wet batter sticks to it: the cake is done!
*Make sure your bowl fits on top of the boiling pot without touching the water in the pot, otherwise your chocolate could easily burn.