Adorable PomPomPurin Christmas Cake! I was inspired by a picture on this blog to make this delicious and cute cake.
Remember you can make most of my recipes lactose free, which I always do, you'll just have to get the right ingredients.
- 1 or more Batches of Japanese Sponge Cake*
- Small amount of Simple Syrup
- 400 grams of Whipping Cream
- 500 grams of Strawberries
PomPomPurin Chocolate Topper
- 10 grams of Dark Chocolate**
- 10 grams of Red Chocolate**
- 10 grams of Light Brown Chocolate**
- 50 grams of White Chocolate
- 100 grams of Light Blue Chocolate
- Tiny amount of Pink Chocolate
- Tiny amount of Gold Chocolate
*1 Batch makes 2 cake layers, I made 1½ batches which I cut into three layers.
**You'll need a lot less, but it'll be hard to dip the skewers in or melt if you use less.
Instead of using coloured chocolate or candy melts you could mix white chocolate with food colouring powder.
What you'll need
- PomPomPurin Template
- Heat Proof Bowl
- Silicone Spatula
- Small or Barbecue Skewers
- 1 Cutting Board, A4 Size
- Acetate Sheet
- Palette Knife
- Cake Board (⌀25 cm)
- Whisk Attachment(s)
- Electric Mixer
- Big Mixing Bowl
- Small Sharp Knife
- 1 or 2 (Disposable) Piping bag(s)
I do NOT temper my chocolate in this recipe, if you prefer to temper your chocolate you could use the method described in this recipe or search online for other methods.
- Put your template on a cutting board and tape it down. Cover it with the acetate sheet and tape this down at the back of the cutting board.
- Melt the dark chocolate, either au bain-marie or in the microwave, and use a skewer to outline the design.
- Let this harden in the refrigerator.
- Repeat for each colour needed, ending with light blue and cover the back of the entire design in this as well to make it sturdier.
- Cut the strawberries: cut about two thin slices down the middle and chop up the rest.
- Whip up the whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Slice your cake into as many layers as you decided on.
- Place a small amount of whipping cream on the cake board, then one slice of cake.
- Brush the cake with simple syrup.
- Cover with whipped cream and place some chopped strawberries on top.
- Add another layer of cake and repeat steps 9 and 10 again.
- Cover the entire cake in whipped cream.
- Place the chocolate on top of the cake.
- Pipe a border of whipped cream around the chocolate.
- Place the sliced strawberries in between the dollops of whipped cream and around the cake.